Monday, March 15, 2010

Obsession

Recently my awesome sister-in-law, Jillian, has introduced me to an amazing new author called Elizabeth Gaskell. I absolutely looove her writing. I've only read one book of hers but I've seen a couple of movies based on her novels and one movie in particular has taken hold of me. I have fallen in love with the movie "North and South."






















It's amazing. Pride and Prejudice fans can eat their heart out on this flick. I can't stop thinking about it. It's become rather an obsession with me, so I thought letting out my obsession in writing would help quell it a bit. After I watched it the first time, I watched it again the very next day and took the liberty of watching my favorite scenes over and over again and then I had to give it back to Jillian. Then I rented it from the library as soon as I could and kept watching it over and over till I found the will to return it back to the library early so that I wouldn't be glued to the screen all day. It has everything a truly good romance needs; a smart, out-spoken, independent heroine; an honorable gentleman that's willing to change for the heroine; and an involving and hearty plot with enduring characters. It's up there with my two other favorite chick flicks; "Pride and Prejudice" and "Anne of Green Gables." I've been noticing a lot of similarities between them. They all start out with the heroine hating the guy and they all involve a first proposal in which the guy gets rejected. There are other stuff too but I've already said too much for those who haven't seen it yet. I don't know why I find those kind of plots so appealing but I do. The character who plays Mr. Thorton is equivalent to Mr. Darcy but a bit more romantic and I think the end scene is a lot more romantic.... ahh so good. Anyways, I gotta go. Watch it!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great movie! I'll check it out sometime! And I'm always looking for a good book to read so I will see what other books Elizabeth Gaskell has written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember how we would watch pride and prejudice all the time? and that one time we were watching it my mom permed my hair and permed your bangs and we smelled awful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I've been a part of your obsession! LOL, and I'm glad I'm not the only one. I remember finding out about her and thinking; "How can no one know about this!? Everyone must know!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should totally watch North and South when I come to visit. I've heard of it, but from the title I thought it was some war movie or something and never watched it. I'm glad to hear its more like Pride and Prejudice, it sounds like it will be good! I'm going to try to read the book before I come!

    ReplyDelete